Monday, March 19, 2012

making goals and having a party

Remember last year when I made a goal every. single. month?

I miss that. I didn't think I would but I actually do. I decided at the end of 2011 that I wasn't going to do it again because it was so time consuming and sometimes just plain exhausting.

But, I guess, I am a goal person. Who knew? I really didn't think I was because I wasn't a fan of the idea of self sabotage. Make a goal, break a goal. That's how it goes, right? But last year I showed myself that I do better, generally, in my life, when there is something to accomplish. Even if I don't accomplish it.

Accomplishing things is the part I like, I think. Not necessarily the doing part. I do like the thinking part. But not the commitment part. But they lead to the accomplishing part. And that is my favourite part.

Take Timothy Findley for example. I have read two of his books in my life and I loved them both. They both took me months and months to read and I can't tell you why. I just don't know. Recently, in the course of reading The Piano Man's Daughter, which took two months, I read two other novels for book club. It's an enigma to me.

But last night I finished it and that was a major accomplishment. There was a point in there but now I see that it's just making no sense.

Back to goals. I have been thinking. A lot. About goals. And what I want for myself. In the near future and for right now. I have decided that I need to make some again because I am feeling pretty useless right now. There are three that I am going to announce right here and right now. There is also a little something brewing over here, on top of that, that is not ready to be announced yet but a little teaser can't hurt, right?

Consider yourself teased.

All right, number one is the tail end of last November's goal. Remember that crazy month where I decided to write 50 000 words of a book? And then I did? Well, I haven't looked at that book since November 30, 2011.

This is unacceptable.

This book needs to be finished. In fact, it is screaming to be finished.

I feel like I have inhaled. And now I have that desperate sensation to exhale. Like I'm holding my breath. Half a breath. Itching for release.

I want to breathe it out. I need to exhale.

End of June is the deadline. I want the book finished and ready for final editing by the end of June?

Do-able?

Sure, why not?

Number two involves my weight. I have so much to say about this. It will have to wait until I can dedicate an entire post to it. Today is just goal announcing.

I feel like last year I talked about it a lot and then let it go. It doesn't feel right. I need to finish my thought.

I will on Friday. Or at least, I'll start the conversation again. For those of you who care. Which is everyone. Is it not?

The goal associated with this is some actual weight loss. I did not weigh myself for the whole year of 2011. And it was wonderful. More on that on Friday.

30 pounds by my birthday. October 10. 30 pounds will make a world of difference in my life and I am looking for a difference.

The third goal is finding something meaningful to do with myself and my time. I have really enjoyed all the "free time" I've had since September. But there is nothing meaningful being done with all that "free time".

I have decided to volunteer somewhere. I have had three interviews at various places and I have already started at one. In the interest of not having this drag on I'll leave that for another day.

There you have it. Goals being made. Being thrown out into the world through my blog. Just me and my goals.

And also, I am having a party and I want to you to come. It'll be fun. So please do. March 30. My house. If you live in Calgary and want to hang out with me and many others and do some eating and some shopping then email me and I will give you some more details.

cddabels@telus.net

Really you should come.

Really.......

9 comments:

  1. Loving your goals - good luck!! I'd love to hear where you are volunteering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goals are good to have! Keeps us in line!

    Good luck with the volunteer ventures. I can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will it be worth the drive? :) The party that is.
    You can do it girl! Thanks for including us/me on your goal journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very intrigued! I can't wait to read your other posts! I wish we weren't leaving town on that day because it sounds like it would be a lot of fun. Maybe when I come down in the summer, you can have another party...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could come. You have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goals are good to have. I need to set some big goals for myself this year.

    Good luck on your weightloss. I'm in the same boat as you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your goals. I wish I was in Calgary to come to the party. I can't wait to hear how you are going to reach your weight loss goal. I need to lose 15 pounds by May 26th, my birthday and I fear I am moving farther away than closer. Darn food!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome, awesome goals! Wish I was still in Calgary so we could meet in person!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goals ARE good. I am terrible at remembering to accomplish them :) I'd love to come too.... darn move south!

    ReplyDelete