Tuesday, May 15, 2012

the fajita cooker

My husband just called me and said "I found a fajita cooker in the garbage and I'm going to bring it home for you to see what you think."

Now I sit here pondering an assortment of things. Things such as: is this what we've come to? Finding random small appliances in the garbage that we might want to cook food on and then eat?

Things like: we've been married for almost 17 years and we are so confident in our marital love that we might suggest to the other that we thought only of them when we pulled a fajita cooker out of a garbage bin on a work site.

I asked him how he knew it was a fajita cooker. I mean, have you ever heard of a fajita cooker? I am skeptical such a thing even exists. His response? "Well, it's pretty obvious."

It's pretty obvious it is a fajita cooker? How would he even know? Has he ever seen a fajita cooker? Not only did he find it in the garbage but he thinks we might want to cook fajitas on it and then consume them.

Like through our mouths.

And now I am flummoxed because who would throw out a perfectly good fajita cooker? Unless, of course, it is broken.

No one in their right mind would throw out something as convenient and easy to store as a fajita cooker. I'll bet you have one in your not overflowing cupboards right now.

Right?

Raise your hand of you own a fajita cooker!

So I asked him, "Why do you think it was in the garbage, hon? Don't you think maybe it's there because it is broken?"

His reply? "Well I'm sure I can fix it or get a new cord.....or something."

Naturally, I did not tell him not to bring it home because apparently we have come to this. The kind of people who fondle fajita cookers that were salvaged from the garbage. Plus, I need to know what a fajita cooker looks like. Maybe it looks like a panini press?

What are the odds of that?

I could google it but I think it would be more fun to sit here with bated breath and see what he brings through the door.

And before I tell him to take it back to the dumpster where he found it I will reconsider the alleged fajita cooker's worth since many many many years ago my brother in law Dave pulled an electric grill from the garbage and asked me if I wanted it and I said............

"Sure, why not?" I mean, it looked brand new and was in perfect condition and I trust my brother in law Dave. Plus the thing makes awesome skinny pancakes. Still. To this day.

One thing I do know is that, after 17 years of marriage, knowing the man like I do, if I said all of these things to him he would simply respond with, "Fajitas can be awesome too."

Such the frugal optimist he is.

7 comments:

  1. I have a fajita cooker in my basement. It was my sister's she wanted to sell in our garage sale but no one bought so it sits in my basement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last few days of my life have been full of the suck, along comes you and this blog and your mans fajita maker and Im literally laughing out loud. With tears. And a snort. Or two.

    So funny. And relatable, only because Im the one who would bring home a broken fajita maker for him to fix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You better be doing an update post tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think a mysterious possible fajita cooker from the garbage sounds super awesome.

    ReplyDelete